On Thursday I took Zachary to the ped for a checkup. We like to do his every 6 months rather than yearly. With Zachary, alot can change quickly! He weighed in at 55 lbs 12 oz. HOLY COW. We didn't get a length on him but I know he's still around 38 inches or so. He seems to have grown a little but not much. All systems checked out perfectly, with the exception of his kidney function which is still struggling. He's still running about 50% function right now. The only other negative thing is his puberty is also progressing more. We haven't been able to start his Lupron shots yet due to his illnesses and the kidney problems but now we are sort of in a position that we either have to do it now or not at all. I asked his endocrinologist about whether or not it was known to cause issues with the kidneys and he said he didn't know of any documented in children but he did with adults. One adult ended up with kidney failure after treatment with Lupron. We plan to discuss it more with him at our checkup at Vandy in April and decide from there. If there is even a chance that it will worsen or cause his kidneys to fail then we are going to go forward with puberty progression rather than the shots because its just not worth the risk. I hope the endo can give me more insight at our visit next month.
While I was there I decided to ask her about Christian too. The child never eats and if he does, he eats like a bird. I don't know how he continues to grow like he does. He lives on yogurt, nutrigrain bars, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, yams, turkey, pb & j and fruit. He will not eat anything that resembles a vegetable at all. Most of the time when you try to get him to eat he'll say "no, not right now!" or "not soon!". Thankfully, the ped said thats totally normal for his age. And that he's eating alot more than some other kids she knows, some who will only eat cheese! He complains sometimes that his tummy hurts but I really think that is just a way to get medicine. The child LOVES medicine and will take anything you give him! His new thing at bedtime is my tummy hurts, I have a temperature, I need medicine. And yeah, nothing is wrong with him! He just loves medicine! Wierd kid.
I will leave you with a Christian funny. Yesterday he came to me with a booger on his finger. Yes a BOOGER! I told him to go to the bathroom and get a tissue to put it on. He went off toward the bathroom and came back within seconds bawling his eyes out saying "I can't get a tissue anymore". I say, why not Christian? "I can't get my booger back!". What happened to your booger Christian? "Its in my mouth!". He was crying his eyes out because he couldn't get his booger back out of his mouth to put on the tissue. I bust out laughing and he's looking at me like dude, its not funny! Little boys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Christian never fails to entertain!
ReplyDeleteI hate that Zachary is having such issues with his kidneys still. I can imagine that it must be extremely frustrating to have to not treat things that could be treated, just because the treatment can cause him more problems. Ugh! It's frustrating to type it...I can only imagine how you must feel.
I will keep you and Zachary in my prayers as always. :)
"Every experience God gives us,
Every person He puts into our lives,
is the perfect preparation
for a future only He can see"